Auteur Topic: Does Gluten Free always mean wheat free here in The Netherlands?  (gelezen 2817 keer)

knvb78

• Geslacht: Man
Does Gluten Free always mean wheat free here in The Netherlands?
« Gepost op: juni 30, 2009, 07:55:45 »
Hi all.  I just moved to the Netherlands from Amerika a month ago.  I have coeliake and read that gluten free is not always wheat free here in The Netherlands.  Is this true?  And that glucose stroop, dextrose and malto-dextrine mostly derives from wheat.  Is this true?  I shop at Albert Heijn for my gluten free products but when I read that Gluten free is not always wheat free I was alittle concerned to say the least.  If anybody has any info can you please inform me.

Bedankt.

soezepoes

• "Soes"-chef
  • Administrator
  • Gold Member
  • Geslacht: Vrouw
  • Don't worry, be happy !
    • Coeliakieforum
Re:Does Gluten Free always mean wheat free here in The Netherlands?
« Reactie #1 Gepost op: juni 30, 2009, 08:40:50 »
Glutenfree is not always wheatfree in Europe.

AH has its own glutenfree symbol at products of thir own brand.
However, as in the rest of Europe, glutenfree means that the product contains no more than 200 ppm (parts per million) gluten.
200 ppm gluten is the same as 200 mg gluten per kilo product.

So, you have to read the productlabel very carefully. I always check for the symbol at the product. Products without symbol are not interesting at all and I read the label of products with the symbol.
Check the label for the word tarwe, this means wheat. 

Glucosestroop, dextrose and malto-dextrine are derived from wheat and corn. There is no obligation for manufacturers to list the source of glucose stroop, dextrose and malto-dextrine at the label.
Mijn lief T. heeft al 33 jaar coeliakie.

Ik voeg zelf nooit zout toe aan het eten en vermeld het daarom ook nooit in recepten. Houd daar dus rekening mee en voeg het naar eigen smaak toe.

Kijk voor mijn recepten ook op http://kookdewereldrond.blogspot.nl